Do you need to conduct a private LinkedIn job search? If you are using LinkedIn to find a new job opportunity while you are currently employed, you need to make these changes to your profile settings to keep your LinkedIn job search private:
#1-Turn off your activity updates
Making frequent and fundamental changes to your LinkedIn profile can send the signal to others that you are considering a career move. By turning off activity broadcasts in the Privacy and Settings section of your LinkedIn Settings, you can minimize the likelihood that others will notice the improvements that plan to make to your profile.
Instructions for turning off Activity Broadcasts in your LinkedIn Settings:
1) After you have logged into your LinkedIn account, click on Privacy and Settings as shown in this screenshot
2) Under Privacy Controls, click on Turn on/off your activity broadcasts
3) Uncheck the selection, “Let people know when you change your profile, make recommendations, or follow companies”, then click the Save Changes button
#2-View other LinkedIn profiles privately
When conducting a job search it can help to review other LinkedIn profiles to see what professional achievements and skills other professionals have emphasized. This can be a problem when you are viewing the profiles of people who know your employer. This could be problematic if these individuals tell your employer that you’ve been looking at their profile.
Instructions for configuring your LinkedIn settings for viewing other profiles privately:
1) In the Privacy Controls area of your LinkedIn Settings, click on “Select what others see when you’ve viewed their profile”
2) Choose 1 of the settings so you will remain anonymous
#3-Keep Group Memberships Private on LinkedIn
LinkedIn Groups are a great tool for networking, especially when conducting a job search. LinkedIn Groups are a great resource for connecting with individuals in your industry who could be the association you need to land your next job. But if you’re joining several new groups, your current supervisor or colleagues could take notice. To keep this from happening, you need to hide these new group memberships.
Instructions for keeping group memberships private:
1) Go to your profile and select Edit Profile
2) Scroll down your profile to the Groups section and click on the pencil symbol
3) Under each group name you will see either “Visible” or “Hidden”. Hover over the word “Visible” to change it to “Change”, and click on “Change”.
4) Uncheck the “Display the group logo on your profile.” setting
It’s important to remember that anything you post in a LinkedIn group can be seen by all other group members. It’s usually a good idea to communicate with other group members privately.
Make an investment in your future with a resume / CV and cover letter written by Vivian Adkins, CPRW of Foremost Resumes. Foremost Resumes offers affordable resume writing services – resume prices are published here. If you have any questions about my resume services, call or text 1-321-442-7994.
Vivian Adkins, CPRW is the owner of Foremost Résumés and a Certified Résumé Writer.
On this blog you can learn about résumés, how LinkedIn can help with your job search, how to conduct an online job search, and more.